About two years ago, I was struggling with severe adult acne. It was horrible! I believe it was hormonal and had to take its course but along the way I discovered the road to a consistent & healthy lifestyle.
Below are some of the things I did on a regular basis that not only helped clear my skin, but also helped me shed 10 lbs over the course of the last 8 months. I’ve promised myself to stay consistent to these areas, knowing its for the greater good of my overall health.
Clearer Skin & Healthy Lifestyle Tips
- Drink plenty of water. I know it’s not always easy but it really helps! I bought a stainless steel rose gold water bottle to help motivate me to drink it throughout the day and that helped a lot! I also would add 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to my water. Lemon juice is a fantastic antioxidant for your skin & overall health. I try to do this daily.
- Exercise daily. My workout routine consists of 2-3 miles of walking with Stella Bella a day. I also try to attend one pilates or yoga class a week.
- Kombucha Tea. This is also another drink that I swear by! This is a probiotic drink you can get from Trader Joes, Whole Foods or any local market. I try to have at least 2-3 a week.
- Regular Facials. Finding an esthetician who’s expereinced & that knows your skin is crucial! I see Spela at Phenix Salon Suites, Lake Forest. Love her! http://www.spelaskincareandwaxing.com
- Micro-needling. This is a fantastic service if you have major scaring from acne – it significantly smoothed my skin and helped even out the skin tone. I’ve done a total of 2 sessions and will be going back for 1 more in a few months. Check out this post for more info on where to go and what exactly micro-needling is. http://m0q.1cc.mywebsitetransfer.com/microneedling/
- Eliminate Processed Sugar. Now this was a major deal for me. I love sugar!! It’s been about 8 months without it and along with everything else I’ve changed in my daily lifestyle, it’s made all the difference! If I want a sugar substitute, I use agave which has not seemed to affect me. For a coffee creamer substitute I use Coconut Creamer. Here’s a link to my homemade version. http://m0q.1cc.mywebsitetransfer.com/homemade-coconut-coffee-creamer/
- Eliminate Dairy. I’ve heard mixed reviews on this one but I eliminated dairy and sugar together and noticed less breakouts once I did this. I’ve slowly started to try and work dairy into my diet occasionally here and there, but for the most part, I do without it if possible and my skin’s been just fine. I definitely feel taking a cold turkey break did help.
- Wash your bed sheets often. I try to wash my bed sheets at least every 2-3 days. If your acne is really bad I recommend switching out your pillow case nightly.
Overall if you’re looking to better your skin or ways to slim down a bit, I’ve found that keeping a healthy and balanced lifestyle has really been the key for me staying consistent in those areas.
This is what helped me clear up my skin and resulted in also losing 10 lbs. Everyone’s different but thought I’d share what I did throughout my journey to find myself feeling happy, healthy and confident in my own skin.