It’s comfort food season and what better way to enjoy this time of year than enjoying a homemade chicken pot pie. I could probably eat one a week during the colder months. It’s rich, creamy and very filling! Great cold winter night, mountain or even holiday meal!
At least in my house, this is a family favorite! Everyone’s usually stoked on chicken pot pie nights! It’s a classic meal that almost anyone will love, especially homemade during the holiday season!
I’m sharing a super easy go to recipe I like to make at home. I even share how I meal prep and freeze a few personal size portions for later with the left overs!
2 Box of Pie crust (If you don’t want extras to freeze than get one box)
2 chicken breast
1/2 cup onions
1/2 cup frozen roasted corn (Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup of peas
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1/2 cup of celery
1 peeled potato
4 cups of chicken broth
1 tsp of garlic salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
salt & pepper
Homemade Condensed Chicken Soup
1/2 cup of chicken stock (use from the crockpot)
3 Tbsp of flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3 Tbsp of butter
3/4 cup of milk
Directions: Melt butter on low flame. Add flour, whisk quickly until smooth. Add chicken broth from crockpot then, add spices. Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk as needed. You want the consistency to be thick and creamy. Once mixture is completely smooth, set aside.
*If you have lumps in the soup, mix with a whisk very quickly until everything is mixed to the correct consistency.
Chicken & Veggie Crockpot Recipe
1. Add all veggies & chopped onions, carrots, potatos & celery to a bite size, chicken broth & chicken, to crockpot. Turn on low for 6 hours.
**I usually make the chicken & veggie mixture the morning off or the night before in the crockpot. If time does not allow, sauté all veggies, potatoes & add a pre made rotisserie chicken (Shred this and mix into the veggies. Once everything is fully cooked, add homemade condensed chicken soup mix.
2. Make homemade condensed chicken soup mixture. Set aside.(directions above)
3. Let the pie crust sit at room temperature. Pre heat oven to 450.
4. In a large pot and melt 1 Tbsp of butter. Add veggies & chicken mixture.
*(use a large kitchen spoon, you want that liquid to stay in the crockpot, only using the veggies and chicken)
5. Add all of the condensed chicken soup mixture to the pot of veggies and chicken. This will be the filling for the pies.
6. Lightly use a spray oil on a pie dish. Roll and place one pie crust on the bottom of the pie dish. Add creamy chicken mixture to the uncooked pie crust until it reaches the top.
7. Then, place the 2 uncooked pie crust on top of the chicken mixture. Press together and fold in the ends of the pie crust. Brush with a beaten egg for a crisp golden crust. Top with thyme.
8. Bake at 450 for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden. Enjoy!
Meal Prep for Left Overs:
If you want to meal prep and freeze a few for later. Lightly oil 4 foil tin loaf pans. (Buy with plastic lids). Roll and cut in half 1 pie crust. Gently drop the dough into loaf pan. Fill with remaining chicken mix. Fold tops of dough in to cover the top. Brush with eggs and top with thyme.
Place in oven for 30 minutes, you want them slightly cooked while cooking your larger pot pies. Let them cool, place lids on and freeze.
To reheat defrost and recooked in oven at 350* for 25 -30 minutes or until warm.